Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

We can do it Wednesdays!: Top 100 Book List Update 1

At the end of last year I made a long term goal to read all of the books in the top 100 best books list. I read often and consider myself a well-read person, but I hear references to famous books I’ve never read all of the time, so I guess that means I’m not as well well-read as I thought. When I stumbled across the 100 best books list on the internet and discovered that I’d only read about 5 of the books, I decided that I needed to tackle the entire list.

At first glance this list seems great – it includes authors from all over the world and a wide variety of genres and story types. After living with this list for a few months though, I’ve begun to realize that this list is cheating a bit; the amount of reading on this list is much larger than 100 books worth. For instance, it includes the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, Hans Christian Andersen, Paul Celan, and Doris Lessing, but it counts each of these as one book each. The list also includes two novels from Wikipedia’s “longest novels” list: Remembrance of Things Past (3,031 pages) and War and Peace (1,440 pages). So my point is that getting through this list is not going to be easy. My goal is to read 10 books a year so I can finish before I’m 40 years old.

I’ll take time to review the books I’ve read on this blog after I finish a group of four (here’s the first group):

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (258 pages) | Rating: 5/5

·         This is the only book on the list they I had previously read and chose not to re-read as part of this large reading endeavor. I’ve read this book about three times and love it. It’s a quick read that tells a beautiful, charming story using beautiful, charming language. If you haven’t read it yet, you should.

The Complete Tales by Edgar Allan Poe (842 pages) | Rating: 4/5

·         It took me about three months to get through all of Poe’s stories. Some of them are pretty dull, but it’s worth reading all of them to get to the truly great horror stories that made him famous. Full disclosure: I skipped his literary critiques, poems, and novel because the list said “complete tales,” so I stuck to short stories only (I know his novel technically counts as a “tale,” but by that point I was ready to be done with Poe, and his novel didn’t get great reviews anyway). I would definitely recommend his top 25 stories (here's a list); you can skip the rest of his stuff since it's a little dense and boring.

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (160 pages) | Rating: 3.5/5

·         I listened to this book on tape and finished it in a few hours while driving to Las Vegas. This is really easy to read because it’s a children’s book that includes a series of light, cheery stories about a peculiar orphan named Pippi Longstocking. It’s an easy read so I’d recommend it if you also want to read all of the books on the top 100 list or want to read something fun to kids – otherwise there’s nothing really special about this book.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (209 pages) | Rating: 4.5/5

·         I was surprised by how much I liked this book but you have to listen to it on tape like I did – otherwise the names are way too difficult to pronounce and you’ll get caught up trying to keep track of all of the characters and places while reading. This is a story about an African tribe during the time when English missionaries started moving to the area. I learned a ton about African culture and would recommend this book mainly for that reason. The story is also very rich and simply told. You should definitely listen to it if you get a chance.

That’s all I have for now. My first few books were pretty easy to read and quite enjoyable. We’ll see what the rest of the books are like…

No comments:

Post a Comment