Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Food Friday: Mexican Veggie Bowl

I really enjoy cooking and usually I don't mind laboring in the kitchen for hours prepping yummy meals from scratch. But lately the weather has been so nice and it's resulted in me losing my desire to cook elaborate meals because I'd rather be walking around outside. I made up this recipe because it's good for lazy people and it actually turned out really well considering how easy it is. There is a bit of work upfront since you have to chop a lot of veggies, but I just prepped everything on Sunday and then all we had to do on the weeknights was throw everything into a big bowl. Yum.

Mexican Veggie Bowl
4 servings, vegan, low-fat, low-sugar


Ingredients
2 portobella mushrooms, sliced
3 bell peppers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 jalapeno, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/3 cup sherry cooking wine
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 limes
Lettuce
Tortilla chips (optional)

Instructions
1.       Sauté mushrooms, peppers, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme leaves in sherry.
2.       Serve grilled veggies in a large bowl with beans, tomato, avocado, cilantro, green onions, lime juice, and lettuce.

3.       Top with tortilla chips if you want to add a little crunch.

Grilled veggies - I cooked them all ahead of time and just heated them before serving.

Finished plate with all of the add-ins.

No comments:

Post a Comment