Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

We can do it! Wednesdays: exercise goal update 1

Last week I set a goal to meet the CDC weekly physical activity recommendations required for “even greater health benefits” for adults. The requirement is two days of full body strength workouts + 2.5 hours of vigorous aerobic exercise. Last week I came so close to meeting this goal, but I only managed to fit in 2 days of strength training + 2 hours of vigorous activity. This week I’m really going to try to fit in that extra half hour so I don’t have to report another failure in the next Wednesday post.

One reason this goal is pretty attainable for me is that I’ve already been in the habit of doing full body strength workouts twice a week by going to Les Mills BodyPump classes. Zach and I discovered BodyPump two years ago and have been going 2-3 times per week since. This class is amazing and I encourage you to search for a class near you right now and try it out. It’s a barbell class that works out your whole body in an hour with ten tracks set to music (1 warm-up, 2 squats, 3 chest, 4 back, 5 triceps, 6 biceps, 7 lunges, 8 shoulders, 9 core, 10 cool-down). The class is challenging but fun and the tracks are set to great music. I especially like being able to go to the gym for just an hour and leave with my whole body worked out without having to fight for dumbbells or machine time. If you have trouble fitting in full-body strength work outs or you're not even sure what exercises to do, you should out try a class like this – it’s the only way I’ve been able to motivate myself to keep up with strength training. Also, if they don’t teach BodyPump at your gym, look for other strength training group classes – there are probably a few classes like this that go by different names.

Good luck with your goals this week! I’ll be back next Wednesday with some thoughts on the cardio half of this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment