Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

We can do it Wednesday!: Fruit for Dessert Update 1

So last week I set a goal for myself to try to stick to eating just fruit for dessert for a week. I’m usually a pretty healthy eater, but lately I’ve been a little stressed and anytime that happens I switch into this mode:


I always have a green smoothie for breakfast, and at work I’m usually too busy to eat anything besides my packed lunch, which is always homemade hummus, veggies, and a piece of fruit. Then once I get home I eat our previously planned healthy dinner.  Then I convince myself that I’m dying of starvation and start eating tons of snacks. A typical day’s dessert might include a piece of fruit, a bowl of popcorn, a peanut butter spoon, and a few squares of chocolate. So I know this doesn’t sound so bad, but usually I’m not actually hungry after dinner, so it’d be nice if I could train myself to limit excessive food intake to save on calories and money. So the plan for the week was to stick to just fruit for dessert – here’s how it went:
  
Day 1: Work wasn’t too bad today, so I don’t feel like going home and eating the whole world to feel better, this is good. I ate a big bowl of roasted veggies, salmon, and brown rice for dinner, so I’m pretty full after eating, plus I have to go do errands and don’t have time to think about dessert. Errands are finished, now I have to run to the store to get ingredients for quinoa salad to make for a potluck at work tomorrow. Zach asks me to pick up some dark chocolate peanut clusters for him…argh. I get Zach’s treat, and for myself I pick up a whole watermelon. I eat about 1/3 of the watermelon and it’s amazing. And at this point my belly is too full for me to think about eating anything else. So staying busy and filling my stomach with watermelon worked well for today. I’ll need to keep that in mind for next time.

Day 2: I stuffed my stomach with watermelon again, since it worked so well yesterday. We’re running a half marathon tomorrow so Zach is carbo-loading on bread and cheddar “cheese.” I gave in and had a few slices of bread with “cheese,” but I think running a half marathon is a good excuse for breaking the fruit only rule for now. I have to make this large cookie cake for a dinner party tomorrow and I have extra chocolate chips. Uh oh. I ate a handful of chocolate chips while baking and licked the spoon from the bowl, but I guess it could have been worse, plus I still have the half marathon excuse.

Day 3: Okay, so my goal went out the window today, but I’m going to go ahead and use the half marathon as an excuse – since I rarely run that long of a distance. Also, I went to a dinner party with my large cookie cake (which turned into a fruit pizza) and ate a slice while we were there. This was unavoidable since I brought the dish, so it would have been super weird not to eat it. No worries, this is just a minor setback, plus there was fruit on top of the cookie, so it technically still counts as fruit for dessert.

Day 4: I was doing so well today until Zach insisted on buying Easter candy when we were at the store! He did have a good point though. Easter only happens once a year which makes Easter candies a precious commodity, so we have to take advantage while we can. I got a small bag of milk chocolate eggs (not vegan and not fruit, oops). But other than that slip up I stuck to the plan today.

Day 5: So it’s Monday and I’m planning to stay on track today. After dinner I finished the rest of my watermelon then went to the gym. After the gym I was super hungry though, and ended up eating ants on a log (celery, peanut butter, and raisins). I would have eaten fruit but we didn’t have any more in the house, so I have to stock up better in the future.

Day 6: After work Zach gave me some candy he got from a meeting (argh, he is really interfering with my goal). I ate the candy in the car, but reasoned that I wasn’t eating it for dessert, so I’m still in the clear. After dinner I had to go to the grocery store so I got another watermelon. I ate the yummy watermelon, but then I was bored so I made myself some popcorn later.

Okay, so as you can see I did horribly! I only completely met my goal on the first day. So I’m going to try again this week, this time with a few modifications to help things go a little smoother:

1.       Tell Zach about the plan: So Zach unknowingly sabotaged my efforts on Day 2, 4, and 6. This time I’m going to let him know what’s going on so he doesn’t continue to offer me delicious treats.
2.       Wait 1 hour after dinner for dessert: So I usually eat dinner really early (between 5:00-5:30pm). The problem though is if I eat dessert right after dinner, that leaves me with 4-5 hours of no eating time, which is probably fine, but it makes me feel restricted, which leads to snacking. So this week I’m going to plan on waiting one hour minimum before eating dessert. This will give me time to digest, workout, and prepare an elaborate fruit dessert on the days I’m feeling fancy.
3.       Stock fruit: This should have been a no-brainer, but I didn’t stock much fruit in my house last week because there is a grocery store mere feet from our front door. It turns out that after I’m inside, I don’t like to go back outside, so it’s best if I just stock the house with fruit in advance rather than relying on myself to be in the mood to go to the store to buy fruit after dinner. I'm also going to look for exciting fruit for dessert recipes so I don't just have to eat watermelon every day.


I’m going to work on this same goal with these changes for the next week and I’ll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment