Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Townhome Tuesday: Beautiful Black Doors

Yay! It’s Tuesday! I want to dedicate today’s post to the five doors on my second floor that I painted black (actually we paid someone else to paint them black; otherwise they probably wouldn’t look so nice). Last year Zach and I had our entire house painted because we were sick of our blah cream walls, and while I was searching for paint colors online I came across a few pictures of black doors in other people’s houses and I fell in love. I showed the pictures to Zach but he was hesitant, and I don’t blame him. It’s hard to tell whether a certain style will look good in your home and we weren’t sure if drawing attention to our doors was necessarily a good thing. We also weren't sure what wall color we should choose to match our black doors. Well in the end we just decided to go for it and we painted all of the doors on our main level black and we painted the walls grey (light grey on the long walls and two shades darker on the short walls). The result was amazing! Take a look:

I like how the doors contrast with the white trim.

Here you can see the wall colors too. We picked a darker grey for the end walls to make the room seem less narrow. Say "hi" to our cat Cheetoh!


We saved money by having the painters only paint half of the door - this also means they didn't have to take the doors off to paint. This works for us since all of the doors on our main floors remain closed, otherwise you'll want to paint both sides.


If you’re on the fence about painting your doors, don’t worry, just paint them and you’ll like it. It only cost us $30/door, so it's not a huge financial investment. Black is great for a modern, sophisticated look and goes well if you have black accents in the room. Other colors would work too though; I’m thinking about paint our upstairs doors grey or brown for a more muted look next. Also, the doors are no harder to clean than they were before, in case you were wondering.

That's all I have for today, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment