Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

bakers trade recipes on a knead to know basis

I made bread from scratch for the first time this past weekend (besides sweet breads like banana bread which I don't think count). I used this recipe for 9 grain, vegan bread. The bread turned out a little more moist and dense than I was expecting based on the picture, so after soaking the grains I'll probably focus on drying them more before adding them to the dough. But all in all the recipe was easy to follow and I'll definitely make it again.

The trickiest part was obtaining all nine grains to go into the recipe, especially since I hadn't heard of most of them. I was able to find them all at whole foods in the bulk bins:


Then I soaked the grains for a long time and let the dough rise for a long time. I mixed everything together, kneaded the dough, and then waited for a long time again. And eventually I baked it in the oven and got this nice loaf of bread:



This bread goes amazingly well with this raw cheddar cheese recipe. Try it out if you get a chance. Once Zach and I discovered this cheese and bread combination, the rest of the loaf lasted a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment