Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Wish List


Those of you who have visited our apartment have undoubtedly noticed the wish list we have posted on our refrigerator. The list contains all of the items we want to purchase once I get a job and we have enough extra money lying around to be able to afford things besides rent and food. The list started out as a practical tool to help us remember things that we want to buy. At first, I'd think of something for the home that we needed, and rather than feeling sad about not being able to buy it, I'd add it to the list, wish served as a promise of good things to come. As the job search became really slow for me, the list took on a whole different meaning. Zach and I hated it, because it was a reminder of all of the things we couldn't have because of my inability to find a job. At times the list served as a pity list to our parents, and they tried to catch glimpses of it and buy us things from it to try to relieve our burden. Well, I am happy to report that that stupid, funny, daunting, and ever lengthening list is no longer a "wish list," it's a shopping list now!

That's right, I finally got a job and now we can finally start hacking away at that stupid list. First item: a new mattress. Zach and I were really lucky to have all of the furniture in our apartment donated to us by Angela. Rather than having to buy sketchy things off of Craigslist or flimsy things from IKEA, we had a quality bed, couch, TV, etc. to bring out with us. So while we are extremely grateful for all of the furniture, one item we have had particular trouble with is the mattress on our bed. To put it simply, this mattress is now being used past it's life cycle, and we need to let it go and move on with a new, younger mattress. There's a kind of sinkhole in the middle of the mattress, so Zach and I struggle all night to stay on our sides of the bed and not fall into the sinkhole in the middle together. As a result of our struggles, we don't sleep that solidly at night, and we both wake up each morning with a sore back, shoulders, or neck. So yesterday we got my job offer, and today we are heading out to buy a new mattress.

In my new job I will be a Manufacturing Supervisor for Edwards Lifesciences (Zach's company). Once I start work Zach and I will have to wake up each morning at 5am to be at work by 6am. So with such early mornings, we cannot afford anymore sleepless nights, and with the help of our new mattress, that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I am so happy that we're finally getting a chance to tackle the list and really start living our lives. I don't have to sit at home all day idling away! Worry not though, I'll still make time to update the blog. So stay tuned, we'll be back next week...

1 comment:

  1. Robert and I just bought a Cali. King sized bed (we were sharing a queen bed, if you can imagine it. CRAMPED! haha) and we went to the Original Mattress Factory to look at mattresses. They have REALLY comfortable mattresses at amazing price :) I'd check there, too!

    ReplyDelete