Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Valentine's Day Feast

Zach and I had a lovely Valentine’s Day this past weekend. I had originally planned to make a special five-course meal for us on Saturday to celebrate, but the weather ended up being so nice (65 degrees!) that I didn’t want to spend the day cooped up in the kitchen. So on Saturday we went on a lovely hike. It felt pretty surreal for February, which is usually unbearably cold and snowy. Then Sunday I made the fancy meal that I wanted to share with you.

Here's us on our hike Saturday. We're smiling even though we're pretty sad about the lack of snow.

The appetizer course was stuffed mushrooms from a recipe we made up using flavor affinities listed in The Vegetarian Flavor Bible. These are actually the best vegan mushrooms we’ve ever made (and we’ve tried a lot of recipes), so I’ve shared the recipe for these at the end of this post.

First Course: Spinach and fennel stuffed mushrooms

The next course was a lovely pea and Boston lettuce soup. This was very light and spring-y and matched the uncharacteristically warm weather we’ve been experiencing.

Second Course: Green Pea and Boston Lettuce Soup

Following the soup course were these scrumptious smoked Salmon pizzas. This was the first time I’ve tried making individual pizzas and I think I’ll actually do this more often. This allows Zach and I to add toppings individually so we both get the exact pizza we want.

Third Course: Smoked Salmon Pizza

After the main course I served a grapefruit and fennel salad. Serving salad after the main course is pretty fancy for Zach and me, but it was a nice follow-up after the rich pizzas and it got us primed and ready for the best course of all…

Fourth Course: Grapefruit and Fennel Salad

Dessert! To celebrate this silly holiday I made one of my favorite desserts ever, chocolate cream pie. I made the crust from homemade graham cracker crumbs, filled with this chocolate filling, and topped with coconut cream whipped from coconut milk.

Fifth Course: Mini Chocolate Cream Pies

So all-in-all we had an excellent Valentine’s Day. I hope all of you enjoyed the weekend as well. As promised here’s the recipe for perfect stuffed mushrooms:

Spinach and Fennel Stuffed Mushrooms
vegan, makes enough for about 15 large mushrooms

Ingredients:
15 large mushrooms, stems removed
1 fennel bulb, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 large handfuls spinach, chopped
Juice from ½ lemon

Instructions:
Sauté fennel with garlic and lemon juice in a non-stick pan for about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook for another 2 minutes. Stuff mushrooms with fennel mixture, then top with “Parmesan cheese”. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes (I baked mine in silicone cupcake wrappers to stabilize them).

So yummy...

No comments:

Post a Comment